We have an immediate need for a talented Software Engineering Manager to lead a team of highly skilled Software Development Engineers and Software Test Engineers on complex designs from the research/conceptual phase through successful product launch, and into post-launch support. This involves leading the planning, development, prototyping, and documentation of software designs within the product development environment. This position requires coordination and collaboration of activities with other functional managers and project managers within a matrix stage gate product development environment. He/she will be responsible for providing and ensuring consistent project planning, development plans, FMEA and risk analysis, and design rigor throughout all projects, in accordance with our ISO Quality Management System. Key accountabilities also include establishing and maintaining the technical competencies of the software engineering team by providing mentoring, training, evaluation, and recruitment.
- Define core competencies and functional strategy in support of overall business strategy. Plan skill evolution to meet strategic needs & succession planning.
- Drive maximum reuse of development work, platforming, and consistent technical and architectural direction across projects.
- Define functional headcount requirements and assign individual staff members to projects. Define and oversee functional outsourcing and resource sharing arrangements to meet business needs.
- Function well in a team environment. Gain consensus, lead, influence, and ensure cross-discipline participation and feedback.
- Work with Project Managers and Product Line Managers to create and maintain integrated program schedules using advanced scheduling tools and processes such as MS Project, Gantt charts, and WBS.
- Act as technical expert within the software engineering function, advising and coaching subordinates to resolve technical or operational problems throughout the product lifecycle. Review and ensure quality of all technical deliverables in functional area.
- Set annual and ongoing goals and objectives for group members. Write and conduct annual appraisals for group members, actively assessing team’s needs and gaps.
- Define best-in-class functional processes, standards, and tools. Create metrics on tracking design efforts, resources, and effectiveness towards improving product development cycles and quality.
- Lead functional process and tool improvement initiatives by being early adopter of ideas. Foster creativity and innovation in design solutions, with a sense of urgency.
- Maintain a Customer focus, and participate in VoC throughout the product lifecycle.
- BS degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent. Strong technical foundation in software engineering design principles.
- Minimum 10 years experience as a Software Engineer developing complex software designs supporting research, new product development, and sustaining.
- Minimum 3 years functional management or lead experience.
- Knowledge of object oriented design, development methodologies, communication protocols, and code reviews.
- Experience with development tools including Microsoft .NET/C#/C++, version control, and defect tracking.
- Experience in software testing, including automation.
- Successful product lifecycle experience. Working knowledge of stage/phase-gate product development process.
- Systematic approach to problem solving and issue resolution combined with good understanding of the relevant technologies and their practical applications.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Self-starter and capable of working with minimal supervision. Ability to multi-task and provide expertise and leadership across multiple projects.
- Good oral and written communication skills, especially technical writing.
- MS Software Engineering or Computer Science.
- Familiarity with ISO, UL/CE, and other international requirements and standards.
- Six Sigma or DFSS experience. Knowledge of failure analysis methodologies such as fault tree, fishbone, cause/effect, and 5-Whys.
- Ability to lead as Project Manager on special assignments & initiatives, within and outside of R&D.