As a global leader in contamination monitoring, Particle Measuring Systems (PMS) has also been actively monitoring and reducing our environmental contamination over the last few years.
We are proud to be a sustainable business. As part of the Spectris group we have set a leading ambition to achieve Net Zero across our value chain, including all Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions. In support of this ambition, we have set the following targets:
- Our Operations – We commit to reducing absolute Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 85% by 2030 from 2020 and achieving Net Zero by 2030: and
- Our Value Chain – We commit to reducing absolute Scope 3 emissions by 42% by 2030 from 2020 and achieving Net Zero by 2040.
Both targets are aligned with latest climate science and the Paris Agreement’s goal to limit global warming to 1.5oC above pre-industrial levels and have been validated by the Science Based Targets Initiative.
In support of these targets, we are:
- Aligning with the RE 100 initiative and committing to sourcing 100% of our global electricity from renewable sources by 2030;
- Aligning with the EV 100 initiative and committing to a 100% electric global fleet by 2030;
- Committing to zero waste to landfill by 2030 across our global operations; and
- Accelerating our focus on product efficiency and product circularity.
“We are working hard at sustainability and Net Zero because it is the right thing to do and now is the time to do it,” said John Mitchell, President of Particle Measuring Systems, “it also saves us money while supporting the work environment and health of our employees”.
As part of our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) approach we have already installed electric car charging stations on site, put in an ultra pure water (UPW) recycling system (that saves approximately 40% of UPW water use), and actively participate in the City of Boulder’s zero waste program including implementing a composting program and training all Boulder employees.
Past CSR initiatives have included installing new lighting that reduces wattage used, eliminating white room air handles, and implementing a comprehensive recycling program that includes electronics. Areas where lighting has been changed have had a 41% reduction in watts used. The change was made my removing T-12 lighting and replacing it with T-8 high efficiency lighting.
The white room air handlers that PMS used in the past accounted for 17% of the building’s total electric bill. PMS was able to remove them and retrofit the space to deliver tempered air without them, with no additional energy consumption.
Since January 2013, Particle Measuring Systems has sent 21,550 pounds of electronics and parts/materials to a responsible electronics recycling company that de-manufactures electronics, and separates the components by category. The items are then recycled and kept out of the land fills. PMS also recycles office paper on an individual basis as well as cardboard.
Please select any of the side buttons to view our policies in regards to environment management and/or health and safety at work.