Learn about the Sustaining Engineering Manager Job
As the Sustaining Engineering Manager, you’ll lead a team of highly skilled multidiscipline Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Firmware Engineers, and Hardware Technicians on post-launch sustaining support of the company’s portfolio of diverse air, gas, and liquid particle counting products and data management systems. This is a “working manager” position and involves planning, development, prototyping, documentation, and release of design improvements related to cost, performance, reliability, manufacturability, compliance, and sustainability. This position requires the prioritization, coordination, and collaboration of activities with functional disciplines throughout the entire organization. You’ll be responsible for providing and ensuring consistent ongoing product lifecycle management, including project planning and design rigor throughout all projects. Key accountabilities also include establishing and maintaining the technical competencies of the sustaining engineering team by providing mentoring, training, evaluation, and recruitment.
More specifically, you’ll …
- Define core competencies and strategy in support of overall sustaining business needs. Plan skill evolution to meet strategic needs & succession planning.
- Drive maximum reuse of development work and consistent technical and architectural direction across all sustaining projects.
- Define sustaining team headcount requirements and assign individual staff members to tasks and projects.
- Define and oversee functional outsourcing and resource sharing arrangements to meet business needs.
Function well in a team environment. Gain consensus, lead, influence, and ensure cross-discipline participation and feedback.
- Establish trust and credibility across the various departments within the organization.
- Maintain integrated program schedules using advanced scheduling tools and processes such as MS Project, Gantt charts, and WBS to track sustaining projects and assignments.
- Advise and coach team members to resolve technical or operational problems on sustaining engineering activities. Review and ensure quality of all technical deliverables.
- Set annual and ongoing goals and objectives for group members. Write and conduct annual appraisals for group members, actively assessing team’s needs and gaps.
- Define best-in-class sustaining processes, standards, and tools. Create metrics on tracking sustaining efforts, resources, and effectiveness towards improving the overall product lifecycle. Provide recurring updates to management on achieving established goals.
- Lead sustaining process and tool improvement initiatives by being an early adopter of ideas. Foster creativity and innovation in design solutions, with a sense of urgency.
- Maintain a Customer focus, and balance the priorities and needs of the various organizations.
- Ability to lead as Technical Project Manager on special assignments & initiatives on an as-needed basis.
To succeed in this role, you’ll have
- BS degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Computer Engineering. Strong technical foundation in a broad range of engineering design disciplines and principles.
- Minimum 10 years experience as a design engineer developing complex electromechanical products containing embedded firmware and application software.
- Minimum 5 years functional management or lead experience.
- Ability to work independently with general supervision on large complex projects and assignments. Significant individual contributor on sustaining design activities within his/her technical field.
- Knowledge and use of the CAPA process, and ability to quickly and effectively establish root-cause and corrective/preventive actions.
- Ensure all products remain in compliance with appropriate approval agencies (ATEX, CE, ETL, etc.).
- Proactively support efforts related to new suppliers, parts obsolescence, and improving overall supplier quality.
- Six Sigma or DFSS experience. Knowledge of failure analysis methodologies such as fishbone, cause/effect, and 5-Whys.
- Project management experience. Well versed in MS Project, project risk mitigation, and experience in balancing cost, schedule, and performance constraints.
- Successful product lifecycle experience. Working knowledge of ERP change order, stage/phase-gate, and Agile product development processes.
- Systematic approach to problem solving and issue resolution combined with good understanding of the relevant technologies and their practical applications. Strong analytical, problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Ability to multi-task and provide expertise and leadership across multiple disciplines and projects.
- Good oral and written communication skills, especially technical writing.
These additional desired skills would be a big plus
- MS Engineering
- PMP certification
- Mechanical and/or Electrical CAD design experience
The Nuts and Bolts
This is an “in-office” position 25 – 50% of the time with Covid precautions being taken. The location of this position is in Boulder, CO. The other 50% – 75% of the time you may work from home. Relocation may be offered for this role, but local candidates will receive first consideration.
2021 Benefits At-a-Glance
Particle Measuring Systems recognizes the importance of providing a competitive and comprehensive benefits package to our employees. With our parent company, Spectris, we have developed a benefits package that delivers quality and value, while satisfying the diverse needs of our workforce.
- Medical – Two PPO plan options through Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield (BCBS)
- Dental – Two plan options through Delta Dental; PPO and DeltaCare USA
- Vision – through VSP
- Flexible Spending Account – Health Care and Dependent Care FSA
- 401(k) – dollar-for-dollar match for the first 4%, 50 cents for each dollar on the next 2%, Match is 100% vested on date of hire
- Employer Paid Benefits: Basic Life and AD&D; Onsite Wellness Clinic – Onsite physician for basic health and wellness consultations; Health Advocate – EAP, Wellness, and Personal Health Advocate
$114,700 – $176,180
How we determine what we pay (compensation philosophy)
Particle Measuring Systems determines pay for positions using local, national, and industry-specific survey data, for the Boulder, Colorado area. We will evaluate external equity, which is the relative marketplace job worth of jobs directly comparable to jobs within our company.
For new hires, we strive to make competitive offers between the minimum and midpoint of our established pay ranges. This allows the new employee room for future merit increases during review cycles. There may be times when we will offer above the midpoint. The decision to do so will be based on the applicant’s level of experience, education, and specialized knowledge and skills. Additionally, we consider the external market rate, the amount we have budgeted internally, and the compensation rates of the employees within the company doing the same position. An employee/candidate with a stronger skill set will receive higher pay.
Note to external agencies: We are not accepting resumes, emails or calls from outside agencies regarding this position currently.
Note to visa candidates: We are not able to sponsor new or transfer H-1B’s. Thus, we are only able to accept applicants from US citizens and green card holders.
To apply: please email your resume with the position title in the subject line to: [email protected].
Particle Measuring Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.