About the Software Engineering Manager Job
As the Software Engineering Manager you’ll be leading a team of highly skilled Software Development Engineers on complex designs from the research/conceptual phase through successful product launch, and into post-launch support. This involves leading the planning, development, prototyping, and documentation of software designs within the product development environment. This position requires coordination and collaboration of activities with other functional managers and project managers within a matrixed, stage gate and Agile product development environment. You’ll be responsible for providing and ensuring consistent project planning, development plans, FMEA and risk analysis, and design rigor throughout all projects, in accordance with our ISO Quality Management System. Key accountabilities also include establishing, developing and maintaining the technical competencies of the software engineering team by providing mentoring, training, evaluation, and recruitment.
More specifically, you’ll be…
- Leading and managing the software applications development team in our Boulder office.
- Define core competencies and functional strategy in support of overall business strategy. Plan skill evolution to meet strategic needs & succession planning.
- Drive maximum reuse of development work, platforming, and consistent technical and architectural direction across projects.
- Define functional headcount requirements and assign individual staff members to projects. Define and oversee functional outsourcing and resource sharing arrangements to meet business needs.
- Function well in a team environment. Gain consensus, lead, influence, and ensure cross-discipline participation and feedback.
- Work with Project Managers and Product Line Managers to create and maintain integrated program schedules using advanced scheduling tools and processes such as MS Project, Gantt charts, and WBS.
- Act as technical expert within the software engineering function, advising and coaching subordinates to resolve technical or operational problems throughout the product lifecycle. Review and ensure quality of all technical deliverables in functional area.
- Set annual and ongoing goals and objectives for group members. Write and conduct annual appraisals for group members, actively assessing team’s needs and gaps.
- Define best-in-class functional processes, standards, and tools. Create metrics on tracking design efforts, resources, and effectiveness towards improving product development cycles and quality.
- Lead functional process and tool improvement initiatives by being early adopter of ideas. Foster creativity and innovation in design solutions, with a sense of urgency.
- Maintain a Customer focus and participate in VoC throughout the product lifecycle.
To succeed in this role, you’ll have
- BS degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent. Strong technical foundation in software engineering design principles.
- Minimum 10 years experience as a Software Engineer designing, developing and sustaining complex real-time systems software designs
- Minimum 3 years functional management or lead experience.
- Knowledge of object oriented design, development methodologies, communication protocols, and code reviews.
- Experience developing Windows and PLC based Real-time data acquisition applications software systems for industrial monitoring.
- Experience with, and management of development tools including Microsoft .NET/C#/C++, Dephi, Version Control, and Defect Tracking or similar. Repository tools like SVN, Bitbucket or similar; tracking tools like Redmine, Jira or similar; management tool like devsuite or similar.
- Experience with, and management of the suite of Virtual Machines used to create products, and the Secure Development Environment.
- Experience in software testing, including test scripting and automation.
- Successful product lifecycle experience. Working knowledge of Agile and stage/phase-gate product development process.
- Systematic approach to problem solving and issue resolution combined with good understanding of the relevant technologies and their practical applications.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Self-starter and capable of working with minimal supervision. Ability to multi-task and provide expertise and leadership across multiple projects.
- Good English oral and written communication skills, especially technical writing.
These additional desired skills would be a big plus
- MS Software Engineering or Computer Science.
- Familiarity with ISO, UL/CE, and other international requirements and standards.
- Experience in regulated industries such as pharmaceutical or medical device a plus.
- Six Sigma or DFSS experience. Knowledge of failure analysis methodologies such as fault tree, fishbone, cause/effect, and 5-Whys.
- Agile certified scrum master
- Ability to lead as Project Manager on special assignments & initiatives, within and outside of Software Development
The Nuts and Bolts
This is an “in-office” position 25 – 50% of the time with Covid precautions being taken. The location of this position is in Boulder, CO. The other 50% – 75% of the time you may work from home. Relocation may be offered for this role, but local candidates will receive first consideration.
2021 Benefits At-a-Glance
Particle Measuring Systems recognizes the importance of providing a competitive and comprehensive benefits package to our employees. With our parent company, Spectris, we have developed a benefits package that delivers quality and value, while satisfying the diverse needs of our workforce.
- Medical – Two PPO plan options through Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield (BCBS)
- Dental – Two plan options through Delta Dental; PPO and DeltaCare USA
- Vision – through VSP
- Flexible Spending Account – Health Care and Dependent Care FSA
- 401(k) – dollar-for-dollar match for the first 4%, 50 cents for each dollar on the next 2%, Match is 100% vested on date of hire
- Employer Paid Benefits: Basic Life and AD&D; Onsite Wellness Clinic – Onsite physician for basic health and wellness consultations; Health Advocate – EAP, Wellness, and Personal Health Advocate
$114,700 – $176,180
How we determine what we pay (compensation philosophy)
Particle Measuring Systems determines pay for positions using local, national, and industry-specific survey data, for the Boulder, Colorado area. We will evaluate external equity, which is the relative marketplace job worth of jobs directly comparable to jobs within our company.
For new hires, we strive to make competitive offers between the minimum and midpoint of our established pay ranges. This allows the new employee room for future merit increases during review cycles. There may be times when we will offer above the midpoint. The decision to do so will be based on the applicant’s level of experience, education, and specialized knowledge and skills. Additionally, we consider the external market rate, the amount we have budgeted internally, and the compensation rates of the employees within the company doing the same position. An employee/candidate with a stronger skill set will receive higher pay.
Note to external agencies: We are not accepting resumes, emails or calls from outside agencies regarding this position currently.
Note to visa candidates: We are not able to sponsor new or transfer H-1B’s. Thus, we are only able to accept applicants from US citizens and green card holders.
To apply: please email your resume with the position title in the subject line to: [email protected].
Particle Measuring Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.