Particle Measuring Systems has an opening for an Opto-Electrical Engineering Intern position during the summer (May – Aug 2019). The right candidate will have strong interest in optical system design and signal processing. This is an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on laboratory experience and to be exposed to many aspects of product development in an industrial R&D facility. This position will be directly involved in collaboration with others within the R&D team.
- Carry out experimental work in the lab: assemble and test optical components (e.g., lasers, lenses). Setup and modification of electrical test circuits during system performance evaluation. Accurate data review and processing of results obtained from the laboratory test setup.
- Collect data and maintain an accurate and up-to-date laboratory notebook.
- Summarize scientific results to present to supervisor and other team members.
- Maintain good laboratory safety practices.
- Undergraduate/graduate student in accredited physics/optics/electrical engineering program.
- Minimal requirement: At least a junior in standing.
- Able to work 40 h/week during normal business hours. This position is limited to the summer (May – Aug 2019).
- Prior experience working with lasers, analog and mixed signal design, as well as the understanding and use of ADC and DAC in signal pulse processing and analysis is preferred.
- At minimum laboratory techniques, practices, and procedures. Strong understanding of physics and electrical engineering principles.
- Software knowledge in Word, Excel, Power Point, Spice, MATLAB.
- Experience with oscilloscopes, arbitrary function generators, lab voltage and current sources and other general lab equipment with good soldering skills.
- Must be able to perform routine tasks repeatedly, efficiently, and accurately in a timely manner, occasionally lifting up to 30 lbs.
- Must be able to work in a laboratory setting for extended periods and function safely and effectively under the environmental challenges associated with handling optical and electronic components.
- Must be capable of understanding, listening and following verbal and written instructions to accomplish desired goals and have the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing at all levels of the organization.
Successful candidate must be able to provide proof of right to work in the U.S. and must successfully process through background check and drug screening.
Interested candidates: Please email resumes to [email protected] with the heading “R&D INTERN 2019” for review and consideration. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not be considered.