Particle Measuring Systems (PMS) sets the standard for cleanroom contamination monitoring. With more than 60 patents, we create the technology that enables our customers to make fact-based decisions, improve process yields and comply with ever-changing regulatory requirements.
As the Laboratory Manager, you’ll be leading our Laboratory Technician Team. You will oversee a team of Hardware Technicians who perform electrical, mechanical and optical assembly operations in support of our research, new product development, and legacy product enhancement programs. You’ll work closely with the R&D Engineers, Project Managers, and Functional Managers to effectively allocate technician resources on multiple projects to support product design, test, and troubleshooting. You’ll manage the safe and efficient operation of the R&D Laboratory, ensuring good housekeeping practices and EH&S compliance are maintained. This is a “working manager” role, where time will be divided between oversight and hands-on technician assignments.
More specifically, you’ll be…
- Managing a team of Hardware Technicians in the electrical, mechanical, and optical design support of research, new product development, and legacy product enhancement programs.
- Estimating and assigning Hardware Technician resources to multiple projects and initiatives. Ensuring assigned tasks are completed on schedule, and with the necessary quality and performance requirements.
- Maintaining a safe work environment and proactively identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Coaching and mentoring staff, providing performance feedback, and establishing development plans to meet current and future needs of the R&D organization. Hiring staff as necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Performing technician support including prototype assembly, sub-assembly and unit assembly tests/calibrations, and troubleshooting and repair.
- Providing technical assistance to the technician team as required, with your strong technical working knowledge of light-based products utilizing lasers and optics.
- Working from and providing input into test procedures, schematics, or other related documentation to assure product quality.
To succeed in this role, you’ll have
- Minimum of Two-year Associates degree (EET) or equivalent military training. Bachelor’s degree in a technical field preferred.
- 10 years or more of related work experience required. Two years of managing other technicians preferred.
- Strong knowledge of analog and digital electronics circuitry including transistors, op-amps, logic devices, microprocessors and memory chips. Ability to read, understand, and explain schematic diagrams. Excellent soldering skills.
- Expert use of electronic test equipment such as digital multi-meters and oscilloscopes. Ability to train other technicians on this, and other equipment including custom test equipment and fixtures. Use of machine shop equipment preferred.
- Experience in opto-mechanical systems and optical alignment techniques strongly desired.
- Computer proficiency and ability to use Windows and standard office software such as Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written. Good time management, organizational, and prioritization skills. Leads by example.
- Ability to work closely with R&D managers and engineers on allocating technician resources to multiple product designs. Able to own specific individual deliverables in addition to managing the work of others.
The Nuts and Bolts
Location – This is an “in-office” with Covid precautions being taken. The location of this position is in Boulder, CO. Relocation may be offered for this role, but local candidates will receive first consideration.
2021 Benefits At-a-Glance
Our benefit package is provided through our parent company, Spectris.
- Medical – Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield (BCBS) PPO Basic; Anthem BCBS PPO Prime.
- Health Advocate – This confidential service can help you; your spouse, dependent children, parents, and parents-in-law resolve health care and insurance-related issues, manage chronic conditions and improve your health and wellbeing.
- Dental – Delta Dental PPO; DeltaCare USA
- Vision – VSP Vision Plan
- Flexible Spending Account
- Onsite Wellness Clinic – Onsite physician for basic health and wellness consultations.
$72,900 – $111,895
How we determine what we pay (compensation philosophy)
Particle Measuring Systems determines pay for positions using local, national, and industry-specific survey data, for the Boulder, Colorado area. We will evaluate external equity, which is the relative marketplace job worth of jobs directly comparable to jobs within our company.
For new hires, we to make competitive offers between the minimum and around the midpoint of the range. This allows the new employee room for future merit increases during review cycles. There may be times when we will offer above the midpoint. The decision to do so will be based on the applicant’s level of experience, education, and specialized knowledge and skills. Additionally, we consider the external market rate, the amount we have budgeted internally, and the compensation rates of the employees within the company doing the same position. An employee/candidate with a stronger skill set will receive higher pay.
Note to external agencies: We are not accepting resumes, emails or calls from outside agencies regarding this position currently.
Note to visa candidates: We are not able to sponsor H-1B’s, so we accept applications from US citizens and green card holders.
To apply: please email your resume with the position title in the subject line to: [email protected]
Particle Measuring Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer