Reporting to the PMS VP of Finance and President and with a strong relationship to Spectris US Counsel, this individual will be the first in-house attorney for PMS. This is a worldwide, multifaceted, challenging, and very demanding role. It requires an individual who not only possesses the background and experience noted below but also has a proven track record of managing business priorities and mitigating risk. Counsel will have a key consultative role with Engineering, Finance, Manufacturing, and other key constituencies within the organization. He or she will be the primary voice for legal and risk management issues and will need to provide support to all organizations within the company. As counsel, the individual will work closely with PMS’s global sales, marketing, and development offices in Italy, Switzerland, Korea, China, and other locations throughout the world.
Counsel will need to have a consultative role with the VP of Finance and President but must have the integrity to advocate strongly for the occasional difficult decision.
It is anticipated that Counsel will also serve as the Global Ethics Officer for the organization and will be the principal voice for ensuring that the organization lives the values embodied in the Spectris Code of Business Ethics.
Skills and Experience
- JD and admission to at least one state bar (CO preferred)
- A demonstrable track record of performing a Counsel role for a multinational global company. Strong preference will be given to candidates with considerable in-house experience who have worked within a high tech manufacturing environment.
- Some M&A experience is necessary although first chair experience with large transactions is not required.
- Exposure to international transactions including distribution/sale and licensing of complex products and software is essential.
- Experience serving as an Ethics Officer will be preferable or at least have experience with training and advocacy in Ethics and Anti-Bribery programs as well as Fair Competition (antitrust). Investigation experience is preferable.
- Significant experience with drafting and negotiating customer contracts, distribution agreements, NDAs and other customer facing agreements is essential. The successful individual must be able to manage customer negotiations particularly with large multinational semiconductor and pharmaceutical companies.
- Some exposure to the following disciplines will be beneficial: IP, Employment, M&A, Ethics/Compliance, Insurance, Export, Software licensing and Information Security.
- Experience with hardware sales and software licensing is essential. Semiconductor and pharmaceutical industry experience would be preferred.
Leadership and Personal Competencies
- Possesses a true business mindset understanding the key drivers behind top and bottom line growth as well as all aspects of legal risk.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to turn complex legal issues into actionable solutions.
- Strategic thinking skills – anticipates changes required for the business model, can identify gaps and initiate remedial action.
- Is able to define goals and priorities within own area of responsibility ensuring that attention is brought to the most business critical projects.
- Operational focus and ability to deep dive in to the details.
- Inspires trust and confidence through his/her natural authority and personal power.
- Encourages a highly collaborative environment and actively engages with all major internal and external stakeholders.
- Possesses strong communication skills and is able to deliver messages in a clear and candid way both in writing and verbally.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to travel (on average 10%) – in the first 12-18 months the requirement to travel may be greater.
- A character of unimpeachable integrity and character who endorses, promotes and models the Company’s core values of:
- Absolute Integrity
- Customer Focus
- Restless Innovation
- High Performance
- A strong relationship developer who builds rapport easily with colleagues at all levels.
Particle Measuring Systems is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, and ancestry, marital or veteran status.
We are not accepting resumes or calls from outside agencies regarding this position at this time. Thank you for your cooperation.